1. How many minutes does Aditya take to cover a distance of 400 m, if he runs at a speed of 20 km/hr.? (1 1/5)
2. A cyclist covers a distance of 750 m in 2 min 30 sec. What is the speed in km/hr of the cyclist? (18)
3. A dog takes 4 leaps for every 5 leaps of a hare but 3 leaps of a dog are equal to 4 leaps of the hare. Compare their speeds. (16:15)
4. While covering a distance of 24 km, a man noticed that after walking for 1 hour and 40 minutes, the distance covered by him was 5/7 of the remaining distance. What was his speed in meters per second? (1 2/3)
5. Peter can cover a certain distance in 1 hr. 24 min. by covering two-third of the distance at 4 kmph and the rest at 5 kmph. Find the total distance. (6)
6. A man traveled from the village to the post-office at the rate of 25 kmph and walked back at the rate of 4 kmph. If the whole journey took 5 hours 48 minutes, find the distance of the post-office from the village. (20)
7. An aeroplane files along the four sides of a square at the speeds of 200,400,600 and 800km/hr. Find the average speed of the plane around the field. (384)
8. Walking at 5/6 of its usual speed, a train is 10 minutes too late. Find its usual time to cover the journey. (50m)
9. If a man walks at the rate of 5 kmph, he misses a train by 7 minutes. However, if he walks at the rate of 6 kmph, he reaches the station 5 minutes before the arrival of the train. Find the distance covered by him to reach the station. (6km)
10. A and B are two stations 390 km apart. A train starts from A at 10 a.m. and travels towards B at 65 kmph. Another train starts from B at11am and travels towards A at 35 kmph. At what time do they meet? (2.15pm)
11. A goods train leaves a station at a certain time and at a fixed speed. After 6 hours, an express train leaves the same station and moves in the same direction at a uniform speed of 90 kmph. This train catches up the goods train in 4 hours. Find the speed of the goods train. (36kmph)
12. A thief is spotted by a policeman from a distance of 100 meters. When the policeman starts the chase, the thief also starts running. If the speed of the thief be 8km/hr and that of the policeman 10 km/hr, how far the thief will have run before he is overtaken? (400m)
13. I walk a certain distance and ride back taking a total time of 37 minutes. I could walk both ways in 55 minutes. How long would it take me to ride both ways? (19 min)
1. A car moves at the speed of 80 km /hr. What is the speed of the car in metres per second?
2. An athlete runs 200 metres race in 24 seconds. His speed is:
3. Which of the following trains is the fastest ?(a) 25m/sec (b)1500m/min (c) 90kmph
4. A person crosses a 600 m long street in 5 minutes. What is his speed in km per hour?
5. A man walking at the rate of 5 km/hr crosses a bridge in 15 minutes. The length of the bridge (in metres) is:
6. One of the two buses completes a journey of 300 km in 7 ½ hours and the other a journey of 450 km in 9 hours. The ratio of their average speeds is:
7. A car is running at a speed of 108 kmph. What distance will it cover in 15 seconds?
8. A truck covers a distance of 550 metres in 1 minute whereas a bus covers a distance of 33 kms in 45 minutes. The ratio of their speeds is:
9. The ratio between the speeds of two trains is 7 : 8. If the second train runs 400 kms in 4 hours, then the speed of the first train is:
10. How long will a boy take to run round a square field of side 35 metres, if he runs at the rate of 9 km/hr?
11. A train travels at an average of 50 miles per hour for 2 ½ hours and then travels at a speed of 70 miles per hour for 1 ½ hours. How far did the train travel in the entire 4 hours?
12. A man in a train notices that he can count 21 telephone posts in one minute. If they are known to be 50 metres apart, then at what speed is the train travelling?
13. Sound is said to travel in air at about 1100 feet per second. A man hears the axe striking the tree, 11/5 seconds after he sees it strike the tree. How far is the man from the wood chopper?
14. An express train travelled at an average speed of 100 km / hr, stopping for 3 minutes after every 75 km. How long did it take to reach its destination 600 km from the starting point?
15. A certain distance is covered by a cyclist at a certain speed. If a jogger covers half the distance in double the time, the ratio of the speed of the jogger to that of the cyclist is:
16. The speed of a car increases by 2 kms after every one hour. If the distance travelled in the first one hour was 35 kms, what was the total distance travelled in 12 hours?
17. A motor car starts with the speed of 70 km / hr with its speed increasing every two hours by 10 kmph. In how many hours will it cover 345 kms?
18. Anna left for city A from city B.at 5.20 a.m. She travelled at the speed of 80 km /hr for 2 hours 15 minutes. After’ that the speed was reduced to 60 km / hr. If the distance between two cities is 350 kms, at what time did Anna reach city A?
19. A train covers a distance of 10 km in 12 minutes. If its speed is decreased by 5 km /hr, the time taken by it to cover the same distance will be.
20. An aeroplane covers a certain distance at a speed of 240 kmph in 5 hours. To cover 2 the same distance in 1 2/3 hours, it must travel at a speed of :
21. A person has to cover a distance of 6 km in 45 minutes. If he covers one-half of the distance in two-thirds of the total time; to cover the remaining distance in the remaining time, his speed (in km/hr) must be:
22. A farmer travelled a distance of 61 km in 9 hours. He travelled partly on foot @ 4 km/hr and partly on bicycle @ 9 km/hr. The distance travelled on foot is:
23. A can complete a journey in 10 hours. He travels first half of the journey at the rate of 21 km/hr and second half at the rate of 24 km/hr. Find the total journey in km.
24. A salesman travels a distance of 50 km in 2 hours and 30 minutes. How much faster, in kilometres per hour, on an average, must he travel to make such a trip in 5/6 hour less time?
25. A person travels equal distances with speeds of 3 km / hr, 4 km / hr and 5 km / hr and takes a total time of 47 minutes. The total distance (in km) is:
26. A man performs 3/5 of the total journey by rail, 17/20 by bus and the remaining 6.5 km on foot. His total journey is:
27. Mac travels from A to B a distance of 250 miles in 5 ½ hours. He returns to A in 4 hours 30 minutes. His average speed is:
28. A is faster than B. A and B each walk 24 km. The sum of their speeds is 7 km / hr and the sum of times taken by them is 14 hours. Then, A’s speed is equal to:
29. A person gravels from P to Q at a speed of 40 kmph and returns by increasing his speed by 50%. What is his average speed for both the trips?
30. A car driver travels from the plains to the hill station, which are 200 km apart at an average speed of 40 km / hr. In the return trip, he covers the same distance at an average speed of 20 km / hr. The’ average speed of the car over the entire distance of 400 km is:
31. The average speed of a train in the onward journey is 25% more than that in the return journey. The train halts for one hour on reaching the destination. The total time taken for the complete to and fro journey is 17 hours, covering a distance of 800 km. The speed of the train in the onward journey is:
32. A boy goes to his school from his house at a speed of 3 km / hr and returns at a speed of 2 km / hr. If he takes 5 hours in going and coming, the distance between his house and school is:
33. I started on my bicycle at 7 a.m. to reach a certain place. After going a certain distance, my bicycle went out of order. Consequently, I rested for 35 minutes and came back to my house walking all the way. I reached my house at 1 p.m. If my cycling speed is 10 kmph and my walking speed is 1 kmph, then on my bicycle I covered a distance of :
34. A, B and C are on a trip by a car. A drives during the first hour at an average speed of 50 km / hr. B drives during the next 2 hours at an average speed of 48 km / hr. C drives for the next 3 hours at an average speed of 52 km / hr. They reached their destination after exactly 6 hours. Their mean speed was:
35. A boy rides his bicycle 10 km at an average speed of 12 km/hr and again travels 12 km at an average speed of 10 km/hr. His average speed for the entire trip is approximately:
36. A man travels 600 km by train at 80 km/hr, 800 km by ship at 40 km/hr, 500 km by aeroplane at 400 km / hr and 100 km by car at 50 km / hr. What is the average speed for the entire distance?
37. A man on tour travels first 160 km at 64 km / hr and the next 160 km at 80 km / hr. The average speed for the first 320 km of the tour is:
38. A car travels the first one-third of a certain distance with a speed of 10 km / hr, the next one-third distance with a speed of 20 km / hr, and the last one-third distance with a speed of 60 km/hr. The average speed of the car for the whole journey is:
39. A motorist covers a distance of 39 km in 45 minutes by moving at a speed of x kmph for the first 15 minutes, then moving at double the speed for the next 20 minutes and then again moving at his original speed for the rest of the journey. Then, x is equal to:
40. Mary jogs 9 km at a speed of 6 km per hour. At what speed would she need to jog during the next 1.5 hours to have an average of 9 km per hour for the entire jogging session?
41. A man can reach a certain place in 30 hours. If he reduces his speed by 1/15th, he goes 10 km less in that time. Find his speed.
42. A train running at 7/11 of its own speed reached a place in 22 hours. How much time could be saved if the train would have run at its own speed?
43. Walking 6/7th of his usual speed, a man is 12 minutes too late. The usual time taken by him to cover that distance is:
44. A car travelling with 5/7 of its actual speed covers 42 km in 1 hr 40 min 48 sec. Find the actual speed of the car.
45. Robert is travelling on his cycle and has calculated to reach point A at 2 P.M. if he travels at 10 kmph; he will reach there at 12 noon if he travels at 15 mph. At what speed must he travel to reach A at 1 P.M.?
46. Starting from his house one day, a student walks at a speed of 2 ½ kmph and reaches his school 6 minutes late. Next day he increases his speed by 1 kmph and reaches the school 6 minutes early. How far is the school from his house?
47. A train when moves at an average speed of 40 kmph, reaches its destination on time. When its average speed becomes 35 kmph, then it reaches its destination 15 minutes late. Find the length of journey.
48. A man covered a certain distance at some speed. Had he moved 3 kmph faster, he would have taken 40 minutes less. If he had moved 2 kmph slower, he would have taken 40 minutes more. The distance (in km) is:
49. A car travels from P to Q at a constant speed. If its speed were increased by 10 km / hr, it would have taken one hour lesser to coyer the distance. It would have taken further 45 minutes lesser if the speed was further increased by 10 km/hr. What is the distance between the two cities?
50. If a train runs at 40 kmph, it reaches its destination late by 11 minutes but if it runs at 50 kmph, it is late by 5 minutes only. The correct time for the train to complete its journey is:
51. Excluding stoppages, the speed of a bus is 54 kmph and including stoppages, it is 45 kmph. For how many minutes does the bus stop per hour?
52. A car covers a distance of 715 km at a constant speed. If the speed of the car would have been 10 km / hr more, then it would have taken 2 hours less to cover the same distance. What is the original speed of the car?
53. A train can travel 50% faster than a car. Both start from point A at the same time and reach point B 75 kms away from A at the same time. On the way, however, the train lost about 12.5 minutes while stopping at the stations. The speed of the car is:
54. Three persons are walking from a place A to another place B. Their speeds are in the ratio of 4 : 3 : 5. The time ratio to reach B by these persons wilt be:
55. In covering a certain distance, the speeds of A and B are in the ratio of 3 : 4. A takes 30 minutes more than B to reach the destination. The time taken by A to reach the destination is:
56. In covering a distance of 30 km, Abhay takes 2 hours more than Sameer. If Abhay doubles his speed, then he would take 1 hour less than Sameer. Abhay’s speed is:
57. Two men start together to Walk to a certain destination, one at 3 kmph and another at 3.75 kmph. The latter arrives half an hour before the former. The distance is:
58. If a person walks at 14 km / hr instead of 10 km / hr, he would have walked, 20 km more. The actual distance travelled by him is:
59. With a uniform speed a car covers the distance in 8 hours. Had the speed been increased by 4 km / hr, the same distance could have been covered in 7 ½ hours. What is the distance covered?
60. It takes eight hours for a 600 km journey, if 120 km is done by train and the rest by car. It takes 20 minutes more, if 200 km is done by train and the rest by car. The ratio of the speed of the train to that of the car is:
61. In a flight of 600 km, an aircraft was slowed down due to bad weather. Its average speed for the trip was reduced by 200 km / hr and the time of flight increased by 30 minutes. The duration of the flight is:
62. A is twice as fast as B and B is thrice as fast as C is. The journey covered by C in 54 minutes will be covered by B in:
63. A thief is noticed by a policeman from a distance of 200 m. The thief starts running and the policeman chases him. The thief and the policeman run at the rate of 10 km and 11 km per hour respectively. What is the distance between them after 6 minutes?
64. Two guns were fired from the sanu place at an interval of 10 minutes and 30 seconds, but a person in the train approaching the place hears the second shot 10 minutes after the first. The speed of the train (in km / hr), supposing that speed travels at 330 metres per second, is:
65. A thief steals a car at 2.30 p.m. and drives it at 60 kmph. The theft is discovered at 3 p.m. and the owner sets off in another car at 75 kmph. When will he overtake the thief?
66. Two men starting from the same place walk at the rate of 5 kmph and 5.5 kmph respectively. What time will they take to be 8.5 km apart, if they walk in the same direction?
67. A walks around a circular field at the rate of one round per hour while B runs around it at the rate of six rounds per hour. They start in the same direction from the same point at 7.30 a.m. They shall first cross each other at:
68. A walks at 4 kmph and 4 hours after his start, B cycles after him at 10 kmph. How far from the start does B catch up with A?
69. Two trains starting at the same time from two stations 200 km apart and going in opposite directions cross each other at a distance of 110 km from one of the stations. What is the ratio of their speeds?
70. A and B walk around a circular track. They start at 8 a.m. from the same point in the opposite directions. A and B walk at a speed of 2 rounds per hour and 3 rounds per hour respectively. How many times shall they cross each other before 9.30 a.m?
71. The distance between two cities A and B is 330 km. A train starts from A at 8 a.m. and travels towards B at 60 km /hr. Another train starts from B at 9 a.m. and travels towards A at 75 km / hr. At what time do they meet?
72. Two cyclists start from the same place in opposite directions. One goes towards north at 18 kmph and the other goes towards south at 20 kmph. What time with they take to be 47.5 km apart?
73. The jogging track in a sports complex is 726 metres in circumference. Deepak and his wife start from the same point and walk in opposite directions at 4.5 km/hr and 3.75 km/hr respectively. They will1 meet for the first time in:
74. Two cars P and Q start at the same time from A and B which are 120 km apart. IT the two cars travel in opposite directions, they meet after one hour and if they travel in same direction (from A towards B), then P meets Q after 6 hours. What is the speed of car P?
75. Bombay Express left Delhi for Bombay at 14.30 hrs, travelling at a speed of 60 kmph and Rajdhani Express left Delhi for Bombay on the same day at 16.30 hrs, travelling at a speed of 80 kmph. How far away from Delhi will the two trains meet?
76. A train M leaves Meerut at 5 a.m. and reaches Delhi at 9 a.m. Another train leaves Delhi at 7 a.m. and reaches Meerut at 10.30 a.m. At what time do the two trains cross each other?
77. Two trains start from P and Q respectively and travel towards each other at a speed of 50 km/hr and 40 km/hr respectively. By the time they meet, the first train has travelled 100 km more than the second. The distance between P and Q is:
78. A man takes 5 hours 45 min. in walking to a certain place and riding back. He would have gained 2 hours by riding both ways. The time he would take to walk both ways, is: